Using my initial idea from the previous class, Volcano Run, I had gone ahead and drawn up a small, rough board design with a linear shape as well as some basic rules and gameplay. Coming in to class, I got some blank cards and began to split them into my three main card types, ‘Watch Out!’, ‘Faster!’ and ‘Help!’. I started to write different scenarios on them for the different situations which would either help or hinder the play as well as adding to the overall narrative of the game. The hard part of these scenarios is coming up with different and interesting cards that would occur in a real situation such as this. I think some further research into actual volcanic eruptions and their consequences would actually help clear up this issue as well as inspire a lot more of the game.
Although I didn’t properly play test this week, as I was still arranging the proper components and materials, it was good to see everything in front of me. Although it feels very basic at its core and it will be a fast paced game, the board arrangement itself is rather uninteresting and leaves little to the players engage with. Through discussion, I thought perhaps approaching it in a different light, namely the volcano in the middle and then a sprawling city around it with multiple roads and paths that intersect and lead to different spots. Some paths may seem quicker but there is the potential for more obstruction and players will have to work around these. This way there could also be multiple exit points, like an airport, a port, or perhaps a highway. Players have to pick their way around, and see what will work to their advantage.
In this way as well, the philosophical carpentry of my game will be enhanced. The game will replicate the experience of escaping a natural disaster, the environmental consequences and real world scenarios that could take place along the way. Players traverse the game and understand the fearsome power and danger that is involved as well as ways cities are attempting to prevent these disasters from causing too much damage.
I spent most of the class helping a friend play test their game but this in itself also helped me to understand the process I need to follow with my own play testing. His game, a Splendor–Pokémon hybrid needed some fine tuning that only came about in the play itself and changes were made that improved the overall play
Header Image credit: https://giphy.com/gifs/chapman-WahVbQd2oBKgg